MRWA Midi Loan Financing Program
Finance Your Next Project With MRWA’s Midi Loan Program.
Let MRWA help you finance your project. Request a FREE Quote Now!
The Minnesota Rural Water Association’s MIDI Loan Program provides Minnesota units of government with a quick and low-cost alternative to conventional G.O. Bond sales. It is most suitable for debt amounts of up to $1 million, which can be repaid in 15-years or less. For more information call Lori Blair, Executive Director at 800-367-6792 or David Drown Associates at 612-920-3320. David Drown Associates is the financial advisor and servicer for the program.
Basic Credit Criteria:
• Application: Borrower submits application package to MN Rural Water or DDA. This package consists of:
• Pre-Qualification and Commitment. DDA will promptly review the application materials received. If borrower meets credit criteria, DDA will inform the borrower that it is “approved for funding” provide a binding commitment to interest rate and terms, and schedule the date for Governing Board final approval. (If basic credit criteria are not met, DDA will advise borrower that further review is required and will work with lender on a specific package and proposal.)
• Sale and Approval: On date of sale, borrower’s governing board passes a resolution prepared by bond council approving the issuance of the Note.
• Closing: After sale is approved, bond counsel processes the resolution and other documents in preparation for closing – usually two weeks after sale. On date of closing, the lender will mail or wire funds to the borrower.
• On-going Servicing: Prior to every payment date, the paying agent mails a payment notice to the borrower. Payments by check are due three (3) days prior to the payment date. Payment by wire are due on the payment date.
Benefits to Borrowers:
• Easy application and immediate commitment. Disclosure and rating duties for conventional bonds can drag out for weeks and months. With a Midi-loan, a qualified borrower with a complete application packet will receive a binding commitment almost immediately. That commitment will remain “firm” until the next scheduled meeting of the governing board.
• Lower issuance costs – and smaller debt issues! By placing loans directly with a large, commercial lender, borrowers avoid thousands of dollars of underwriting fees and rating fees. This means lower issuance costs and a smaller bond issue.
• Flexible Prepayment. Midi-loans can be prepaid in whole or in part at any time; call protection of conventional bonds often prevents a borrower from prepaying their bonds for as long as 10 years. While there is a call premium of 1.00% during the first 5 years, the flexibility to prepay to deal with unforeseen problems or opportunities can often make this premium negligible. Nice to have the option.
• Competitive Payments. Midi-loans are designed to produce bond payments comparable to conventional rated sales, but without the added issuance costs and added convenience and flexibility.
• Free quotes and preliminary structuring. Our professional advisors will provide you with an analysis and proposal for your project at no cost.
• Professional advisor support available as needed. Borrowers needing extra help to revise utility rates, evaluate funding options, or work through the assessment process need not look elsewhere for project financing. Our registered, independent financial advisors will gladly attend a council meeting or work session to explain options and provide all the professional guidance you need. These services are all part of the MIDI program. Feel free to use them.